WEEE and The Waste Batteries Regulations
The Waste Batteries Regulations
Under the Waste Batteries Regulations, Lyco Group Ltd offer a take-back scheme for all portable waste batteries.
You can return your waste batteries to our business premises in person – 24 - 26 Vincent Ave, Crownhill, Milton Keynes, MK8 0AB and we will organise their safe removal. Please do not post us your batteries.
Business Customers can:
- Order your own standard battery collection box by going online at http://www.erp-batteries.co.uk/request-box/
- Order boxes for multiple locations if you think you will be collecting a large quantity of batteries, by phoning 0845 685 2424 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) and leaving your name, company name, email address and phone number. Someone will call you back within 48 hours to identify your needs. The battery collection box service is provided by ERP Batteries.
- Return waste batteries to your local portable waste battery recycling facility (find your nearest site at www.recyclenow.co.uk)
- Use your local amenities. Most supermarkets and shops that sell batteries will have collection bins for used batteries, along with some libraries or schools
Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations (WEEE)
Unwanted electrical equipment (including spent light bulbs and tubes) is the UKs fastest growing type of waste, and sending it to landfill can cause lead and other toxins to leak out and contaminate soil and water, harming wildlife and human health.
The WEEE Directive requires countries to maximise separate collection and environmentally friendly processing of waste materials. In the UK this means that retailers like us must offer our customers buying new equipment a free take-back service for their old electricals.
If you’re not sure if your electrical item can be recycled, have a look for the crossed-out wheelie bin symbol on the packaging, or on the item itself. If the symbol appears on the replacement item, this is an indication that the old model should be recycled.
Business Customers can:
- Order your own light bulb collection box in which to store larger quantities of used light bulbs and tubes, by calling us on 0345 646 1133. When the box is full, call us to organise collection - delivery of the box is free, but collection attracts a fee.
- Recycle your electricals locally – go to www.recyclenow.com to find out your nearest recycling centre