LED Pin Fitting Bulbs
LED pin fitting bulbs are designed as retrofitting replacements for pin-based CFLs. Originally these lamps were intended as space-saving alternatives to the linear fluorescent tube, whilst still producing a powerful output of widespread light. Naming convention for pin lamps is made a little complicated by the interchangeable use of brand names for each type.
Here are some of the popular forms of CFL/LED retrofit pin lamp:
- Biax-S, Lynx-S, Dulux-S, PL or PL-S: single bent-over tube (single-turn)
- Biax-L, Lynx-L, Dulux-L, PLL or PL-L: long single bent-over tube (single-turn)
- Double-Biax, Biax-C, Lynx-C, Dulux-C, PLC or PL-C: two bent-over tubes (double-turn)
- Triple-Biax, Biax-T, Lynx-T, Dulux-T, PLT or PL-T: three bent-over tubes (triple-turn)
- Double-D, 2D: traditionally shaped as two back-to-back ‘Ds’, LED versions are square, with a very flat, low profile and high output
The size and shape of each lamp naturally dictates its likely application. The more ‘turns’ a pinned CFL has, the more compact in form it generally is. A PLT lamp is small enough to be used in a table light. The PL/PLS and especially the PLL lamp is relatively long and commonly used in wall lights or recessed ceiling lights, whilst the flat 2D lamp is used in low-profile bulkheads or floodlights.
LED pin fittings offer tremendous advantages over older CFLs, including up to 60% in energy savings and vastly longer lifespans to save on maintenance costs.