IP44 lighting for outdoors – our top 10
Author: Glenn Harper
Published: July 17, 2014
Whenever you’re looking to illuminate an outdoor space, IP44 lighting will usually provide an answer. The “IP44 rating” is something of a benchmark. The first of its two digits means the electrical enclosure is inaccessible to solid objects above 1mm in width. This is useful if you have children playing in a garden, as it effectively prevents anything from being prised into perilous areas. The second of the 4’s tells us the fitting is impervious to splashed water from any angle.
The IP44 rating is common in outdoor lighting. If you need to jet-clean the light fitting or immerse it in water you’ll need a greater level of protection, but for most purposes the IP44 specification will suffice. A lower IP43 rating is sometimes seen in outdoor lights, which is also rainproof but a little less protected against wild downpours and bouncing or deflected water.
Our ten best IP44 outdoor lights
Having established the IP44 rating as a reliable measure of weatherproofing, we’ll look at Lyco’s top IP44 lights in each of ten outdoor categories:
- Outdoor wall lights can be decorative or functional. The IP44 rated ASD Coach Wall Up Lantern with built-in PIR sensor ticks both boxes. This traditional fitting automatically triggers light when movement is detected within a 6m, 110° range. The PIR sensor can be overridden if required for manual operation.
- Porch lights are a popular way of brightening an entrance. The Salcombe Oval Bulkhead has a classic style that’s ideal for various types of property. Its ridged opal glass diffuser is shielded by a steel cage and does a good job of cutting out glare. The slightly industrial look of this fitting is a popular modern choice.
- Plug and play lights offer a great way of designing an outdoor lighting scheme, without the need for any electrician to install it. The Alder Single Spotlight Extension consumes very little energy, thanks to its use of LED technology. This light can be easily added to the separately available 3-light kit, with no extra components required.
- Utility lights are nothing if not functional, but the Nighthawk LED Security Floodlight excels itself for performance and practicality. Low priced without skimping on features, this 12W luminaire kicks out over 90 lumens of cool white light per watt and includes a PIR movement sensor with override facility.
- Decking lights add ambience to a decking area as well as an element of safety. The stylish Endon IP44 Metro LED Walkover Lights are ideal for outlining decking edges and can easily withstand human weight. As a solid state technology that’s resistant to vibration and shock, LED lighting is perfect in this challenging role.
- Solar lights now exist in many forms, all made possible by modern LED technology. The Everbright Solar LED Party Lights are great for any special outdoor event. These white lights are an apt choice for wedding receptions, while the multi-coloured set caters for other occasions. Up to 8 hours of use is possible from a full charge.
- Posts and bollards are useful for bordering paths and driveways, simultaneously lighting the way and showing off plants and shrubs. The little Linum LED Mini Bollard is perfect for highlighting garden features such as rockeries. Consuming very little energy, this stylish IP44 rated luminaire adds ambience to any modern outdoor space.
- Tile and brick lights are difficult to beat as discreet forms of exterior lighting. The Endon Sorrento Low Energy Brick Light slots directly into a brick cavity. This is an easy way of lighting paths alongside commercial or residential buildings, where there may not be room for freestanding or surface-mounted luminaires. A louvred version of the same fitting is available, which delivers an indirect light and cuts out glare.
- Feature lights are available in a wide variety of wonderful forms. Their main function is to cheer up an outdoor space and add ambience. The IP44 rated Assisi LED Planter is a perfect case in point, adding attractive pools of light to a driveway or garden while also showing off potted flowers and shrubs.
- Stake lights offer a flexible solution to showing off garden features. The Helios Solar LED Spotlight is particularly versatile, with an integral solar panel that allows great positioning freedom. A built-in dusk-to-dawn sensor automatically triggers overnight light, which can be overridden by manual control if required. Use this IP44 rated spotlight to accent grasses, plants, shrubs, statues, and other items of interest.
IP44 Lighting: British weather defence
For lighting that will always resist the British elements, you only need think of IP44. A detailed explanation of Ingress Protection ratings is available here: IP Ratings – The Definitive Guide.
For more advice and inspiration take a look at our Lighting Advice section.